Financial Times: Quebec mosque attack suspect charged with murder. A French-Canadian university student has been charged with murder in connection with the mass shooting at a Quebec City mosque, an act that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned as a “terrorist attack on Muslims”. Alexandre Bissonnette, 27, was charged with six murder counts and five counts of attempted murder with a restricted weapon. Six people were killed and five more remain in critical condition in hospital, after the fatal shooting during Sunday’s evening prayers in an Islamic cultural centre in the capital city of Canada’s French-speaking province. A second man who had been arrested, Mohamed Khadir, was reclassified as a witness. Canadian authorities said it was “much too early” to know the motives behind the attack.
FoxNews: Mosque shooting suspect in Canada known for far-right views. The French Canadian university student charged with killing six Muslim men during evening prayers at a mosque was known for far-right, nationalist views and his support of the French rightist party led by Marine Le Pen. The 27-year-old suspect, who has espoused support for Le Pen and U.S. President Donald Trump on his Facebook page, was known to those who monitor extremist groups in Quebec, said Francois Deschamps, an official with a refugee advocacy group.
Al Arabiya: Gunshots in Quebec City leave six dead and eight wounded. Reuters has reported that a university student, Alexandre Bissonnette, is the only suspect in the shooting. Another suspect was arrested but now considered a witness. An investigator in the City’s police stated that one of the two suspects called the police to surrender himself. Local media sources have identified Bissonnette and Mohamed Khadir; whom the sources identified to be of Moroccan descent, while the police refused to confirm their identity and only stated that both are Canadians.
Russia Today: Police believe Quebec mosque shooting a ‘lone wolf’ attack, only one man in custody – reports. Canadian police say a single man – reported by the media as student Alexander Bissonnette – remains in custody over Sunday’s mosque shooting in Quebec City, in which six people died, and 19 were injured. The other man previously labeled a suspect, named as Mohammed Belkhadir, has been released. Belkhadir, who is of Moroccan origin, is now being treated as a witness by the investigators. Bissonnette, a politics student at Laval University, called 911 shortly after the attack, which took place during evening prayers at 8 p.m. and told dispatch that he felt guilty and was going to commit suicide. However, a police chase ensued, in which the suspect led officers to a bridge 20 km east of the city, before giving himself up. Officers found a weapon inside the vehicle.
Aljazeera: Canada grants visas to those stuck on its land. Minister of Immigration, Ahmed Hussen, announced that Canada will grant temporary residency visas to those in the country that are affected by the travel ban to the US. The Minster also assured dual citizen Canadians of the countries affected that they will not be included in the ban. Meanwhile, and in an indirect response to Trump’s order, the Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, stressed that his country will continue to receive refugees irrespective of their religion.
Reuters: Canada to offer temporary residency to travelers stranded by U.S. Canada will offer temporary residency to any travelers stranded by U.S. President Donald Trump’s orders temporarily barring people from seven Muslim-majority countries, a senior official said on Sunday. Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen told a news conference he did not know how many people might be eligible but said only a handful of passengers headed to the United States from Canada had been denied boarding. Trump’s decision on Friday, which also affects refugees, left many people uncertain of whether they could enter the United States.
CNN: Trump halts refugee program; Trudeau tweets they’re welcome in Canada. While many in the United States, caught off-guard by President Trump’s executive order on immigration, protested and heaped condemnation, the neighbor to the north took a decidedly different tack. Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reiterated his country’s open-door policy on refugees in a series of tweets. “To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith,” the first, posted Saturday afternoon said. “Diversity is our strength.”
The New York Times: In Canada, Justin Trudeau says refugees are welcome. As President Trump’s executive order on immigration stranded people around the world and provoked condemnation, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of Canada took to social media to restate the country’s open-door policy. “To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith,” Mr. Trudeau wrote on Twitter on Saturday afternoon. “Diversity is our strength.” Another post showed him in photograph with a child, apparently a Syrian refugee who had just arrived, with the caption “#WelcomeToCanada.” The post was shared at least 224,000 times on Twitter.
The Guardian: Justin Trudeau’s tweets won’t make Canada a refugee haven-but popular pressure can. Trump’s attack on refugees, and the murderous assault on a Quebec city mosque by a racist white nationalist, should indeed focus Trudeau’s mind. But before we continue the bout of self-congratulation, let’s get a few things straight. Start with the fact that, despite the horror unfolding south of the border, his government refused to commit to raising the country’s refugee intake: asked to clarify Trudeau’s twitter-diplomacy, the Immigration Minister stated that they were already “doing our part.” Despite the optics, Canada has hardly been a leader in openness among countries. The number of refugees it accepted last year totalled 38,000-ranking us a laggardly 20th, judged per capita, among industrialized countries. A story by Martin Lukacs.